A unique city with a blend of urban and suburban living, Grand Prairie, Texas, is conveniently situated between Dallas and Fort Worth. This city of just under 200,000 souls is known to be family-friendly, has a rich cultural history, and has a diverse population. Grand Prairie also has mild winters, making it a fantastic place to visit or live when the weather up north is frightful. If you live in Grand Prairie and you’re searching for detailed information about what the town offers in terms of exciting entertainment and fun activities, the information below is just for you! It’s a list of 9 fun, interesting, and exciting things to do in Grand Prairie, brought to you by the area’s self storage experts, Move It Storage!
A Note about the Weather in Grand Prairie
The winter comfort index in Grand Prairie is 7.5/10, which is quite good. Winter is filled with warm days and cool (but not cold) nights, making it nearly perfect for outdoor activities. The summer comfort index is a poor 3.9/10, primarily due to the fact that Grand Prairie can get swelteringly hot and surprisingly humid in summertime. The 3 most uncomfortable months in Grand Prairie are June, July, and August. Still, with over 230 days of sunshine a year, there’s not much to complain about, weather-wise, in Grand Prairie.
9 Things to Do in Grand Prairie, Texas
1. Enjoy a Day of Fun in the Sun at Joe Pool Lake
Ideal for boating, fishing, and swimming, this gorgeous lake is one of several popular outdoor locations in Grand Prairie. It’s a favorite place where families and friends gather to enjoy themselves in the Texas sun!
2. Lynn Creek Park for a Picnic
This park on the shores of Joe Pool Lake offers picnic areas and a nice beach area. You’ll find boat ramps if you bring your boat and several volleyball courts to get a game going. There are also picnic grounds to relax and enjoy meals with family and friends. Lynn Creek Park is extremely popular, so get there early to grab a parking spot during the high season.
3. Birdwatching, Mountain Biking, or Camping at Cedar Hill State Park
This state park is perfect for mountain biking, bird watching, and camping. The mountain biking trails are said to be some of the best in Texas, and the hiking trails provide many opportunities for selfies and gorgeous photographs. As for birding, keep an eye out for the White Faced Ibis, Great Blue Heron, Prairie Birds, and several other species.
4. Golfing at Tangle Ridge Golf Club
Golf fans can enjoy a round of links at this beautifully landscaped club. Tangle Ridge Golf Club is known for its well-maintained greens and fairways, as well as a top-notch staff and challenging but accessible course. It’s open to the public and relatively affordable, making it a popular place in Grand Prairie.
5. Lake Day at Mountain Creek Lake Park
Mountain Creek Lake Park offers walking, biking, fishing and boating.
6. Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark
This 80,000-square-foot indoor waterpark is open year-round and offers exciting waterslides, a giant wave pool, and smaller areas for the youngest members of your family. It’s an excellent spot for family fun throughout the year.
7. Visit Dallas, Fort Worth, or Arlington
Fort Worth, Arlington, and Dallas offer some amenities and activities worth traveling for. Dallas has significant museums, Broadway shows, phenomenal shopping, and distinctive dining options. The same can be said for Fort Worth. Want to watch a Dallas Cowboy’s game? Arlington is where you’ll want to be on Sunday and it’s also within a close driving distance. Having these three major cities nearby makes it hard to have nothing to do on the weekend!
8. Enjoy a Meal at One of the Grand Prairie’s Many Excellent Restaurants
Unsurprisingly, a city as large as Grand Prairie has world-class restaurants. In fact, being this close to Mexico has gifted Grand Prairie with a wide range of cuisines, including authentic Mexican, Asian, and traditional Texas BBQ, along with many other local, regional, and world-influenced flavors. Below are 10 of the best restaurants in Grand Prairie to tempt your tummy and satisfy everyone’s taste buds!
- Theo’s Grill & Bar- A friendly atmosphere, savory roast beef, and friendly servers. Yes, please!
- Pizzaiolo’s Pizza and Pasta- You’ll find some of the best pizza in Grand Prairie here, including homemade sauce!
- Monterey’s Little Mexico- Tex-Mex is the meal of the day at Monterey’s! We suggest trying the crawfish dip and tacos!
- Firehouse Gastro Park- This is what you get when you combine a friendly staff, vibrant atmosphere, and delicious food. (Try the deep-fried pickles! Amazing!)
- Pepper’s Street Tacos- Massive, flavorful burritos and a welcoming environment greet you at Pepper’s!
- Zavala’s Barbecue- A local favorite known for phenomenal barbecue and excellent customer service.
- Marble Slab Creamery- The ice cream is delicious, although, if we’re being honest, the prices are a bit high.
- Beto’s Mexican Restaurant and Catering- Another Tex-Mex restaurant with a fantastic bar and family-friendly atmosphere
- Sugar Crush Boba & Ice Cream- This will be your go-to place for late-night snacks after a fun night in Grand Prairie!
- Theo’s Drive-In- We recommend the crispy onion rings and homemade milkshakes at this local favorite!
9. Skating at Action Park Grand Prairie
If you or someone in your family is an avid skateboarder, Action Park is the place to visit in Grand Prairie! It features several areas, including “The Hanger” a covered skate area. This popular attraction also offers ice skating, biking, and rollerblading. For those folks who want to learn but need the equipment, Action Park has all the gear you need with on-site rental.
Store Your Stuff Safely in Grand Prairie with Move It Storage
Need to store your belongings in Grand Prairie? Whatever your particular need, when you want to store your stuff safely in Grand Prairie, your best choice is Move It Storage! Reserve a storage unit in Grand Prairie in under five minutes with Move It Storage. Once you’re finished, your Grand Prairie storage unit will be ready and waiting when you arrive to safely and conveniently store your stuff!