Known as both the “Home of the Grapefruit” and the “Tourist Mecca of South Texas,” Mission is a mid-size city with an excellent quality of life. Mission, TX, offers good schools, lots of green spaces, warm weather year-round, and an affordable cost of living. It could be better, but Mission is above average as American cities go. If you’re moving to Mission soon and want to know more, the information below will be helpful. It’s a guide to the top reasons people are moving to this southern Texas town, brought to you by the storage experts at Move It Storage! Read on to learn much more about Mission and everything the city offers! (If you need to choose a storage unit right away, check out our storage unit size guide!)
Why People Love Living in Mission
What do you get when you mix a family-friendly city with fun outdoor activities, plenty of jobs, good weather, and low-cost real estate? That’s easy! You get Mission, Texas! Americans have visited Mission since the 1800s because the city has much to offer, including easy access to the mighty Rio Grande River.
The weather is one of the driving factors for Mission’s popularity. Yes, summertime is hot and humid but only lasts about 3.5 months. The rest of the year is almost as pleasant as it gets, allowing residents to enjoy the great outdoors regularly! In short, people love living in Mission, TX, for the weather and the lifestyle.
Factors to Consider if Moving to Mission, TX
The Cost of Living in Mission
One thing you’ll appreciate about Mission is the cost of living, which is genuinely affordable. With an index of 78.5/100, you’ll pay almost 22% less to live in Mission than in similar U.S. cities. (Just FYI, 100 is the U/S. average.) Of the 6 major indices, all are under the U.S. average, which is extremely rare.
Real Estate Prices in Mission
One reason the cost of living in Mission is so affordable is the housing cost, which is a phenomenal 54.7/100, nearly 46% less than the U.S. average! The median home price is $183,300, about $160,000 less than comparable cities! Even rental prices are cheaper in Mission, about $300 less per month, depending on the number of bedrooms you need. Housing prices are in the running if you need to pick a reason for moving to Mission.
Mission’s Public School District
While a B isn’t perfect, it’s certainly not bad, which makes Mission’s schools not bad, either. (Niche gives the public school system in Mission a B.) There are 89 public schools in Mission. If you have kids, ask your real estate agent about the schools attached to the Mission community where you wish to settle down.
Recreation Opportunities in Mission, TX
The Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park is one of the highlights of Mission, as is the National Butterfly Center. There are many hiking and biking trails, and Mission has several other parks and playgrounds to enjoy! The only drawback to living in Mission is that it is 517 miles from the coast.
The Weather in Mission
We mentioned the weather in Mission already, but it certainly begs to repeat because it’s so warm and (mostly) wonderful. Aside from about 3 months, the weather is phenomenal, with a 9.1/10 comfort index that’s almost perfect! (Summer can be sweltering, to be sure, so be sure to prepare for the heat.)
Top 10 Neighborhoods in Mission, TX
Of all Mission’s lovely neighborhoods, the following 10 are considered the best. However, depending on your needs, you should look at all the communities available here.
- Sharyland Plantation- a master-planned community that offers a mix of residential and commercial properties. Sharyland Plantation also offers top schools.
- Cimarron Country Club- Gated community for folks wanting an active lifestyle and great golf. This community offers newer homes and access to a great golf course.
- Meadow Creek- Well-kept, tree-lined streets and charming homes are the hallmarks of this higher-end Mission community.
- Bentsen Palm Development- Sustainable living is the norm for this community with energy-efficient homes and native landscaping.
- The Oaks at Cimarron- Upscale, large homes, and massive oak trees let you know you’re in The Oaks. They also offer easy access to dining and shopping options.
- Redstone Estates- Modern amenities, walking trails, and a beautiful playground await you in this popular neighborhood.
- Tanglewood at Bentsen Palm- One of the few communities with a swimming pool, fitness center, and well-maintained grounds, this is one of the most sought-after locations in Mission.
- Mission Hills- A mix of older and newer homes sets this neighborhood apart, as well as good schools and a quiet, laid-back vibe.
- The Legends at Cimarron- Exclusive, gated community offering luxurious homes and first-class amenities.
- Woodland Ridge- One of Mission’s newest neighborhoods, Woodland Ridge is a great place for younger families. It offers a strong community along with a fantastic park and playground.
Trust Move It Storage for Your Self Storage Needs in Mission, TX
With 5 first-rate storage facilities, there are plenty of storage units from Move It Storage Mission, TX, to choose from! All 5 of our storage locations in Mission offer state-of-the-art amenities and features, including 24/7 video cameras, electronic front gates, and temperature controlled storage units, among many others.
What can you store with Move It Storage? Practically everything! Move It has the storage you need to ensure all your valuables stay in pristine condition, from your household belongings to items from your office, retail location, medical practice, and more. You can even store vehicles like cars, trucks, RVs, and boats. Need help choosing a storage unit that fits all your stuff? If yes, take a look at our storage unit size guide. Then, when you’re ready, reserve your storage units in Mission, TX, online. That way, when you and your movers arrive, your storage unit will be ready and waiting! You can also purchase packing and moving supplies at most of our storage locations in Mission.