Are you moving to Corpus Christi, TX, in the near future? If so, gathering information about your soon-to-be new town can be extremely helpful. Knowing what the weather is like in Corpus Christi can help you prepare your wardrobe, and knowing the cost of living can help you create a workable budget. At Move It Storage, we know how difficult it can be when moving to a new city. (Exciting, too!) To help, we put together the following guide on moving to Corpus Christi. It’s packed with actionable information to help you settle into your new Lone Star State life faster and with less stress!
Why People Love Living in Corpus Christi
One of the main reasons folks love living in Corpus Christi is the wide variety of activities you can enjoy. That includes the breathtaking sights along Corpus Christi’s spectacular coast, which is easily reachable anywhere in the city. Family-friendly isn’t just a cliché in this city, as it’s welcoming, safe, offers highly-rated schools, and has affordable housing options. In short, there are many reasons to love living in Corpus Christi, no matter the size of your family.
Factors to Consider if Moving to Corpus Christi, TX
Weather in Corpus Christi
There’s no escaping the fact that Corpus Christi deals with sweltering heat in summer, as well as often smothering humidity. That weather, however, is offset by the city’s fantastic winter weather. With a comfort index of 8.9/10, winter in Corpus Christi is enjoyable, comfortable, and pleasant.
The Cost of Living in Corpus Christi
You’ll be pleased to know that the cost of living in Corpus Christi is nearly 20% lower than the U.S. average. The overall cost of living is 83.7/100 (100 being the U.S. average). Transportation costs are even better at 79.7/100, and groceries are more affordable than most cities at 92.8/100. As you’ll see next, however, housing costs are among the lowest cost indices in the fine southern city.
With a housing cost index of 64.6/100, a home in Corpus Christi is well within reach of many American families. The median home cost is an affordable $210,500, nearly $130,000 less than the U.S. average! Apartments are a bit cheaper, also (although nothing to write home about).
Corpus Christi’s Public School District
If you have children, you’ll be pleased to see that Corpus Christi’s public schools get a B+ from Niche, which any student will tell you is a fine grade. There are 100+ public schools in the city, and many get an A or B, although it’s recommended you check before buying or renting a home if you want to be sure your kids get into a top-rated school.
Corpus Christi really shines when it comes to recreation. The Gulf Coast beaches are beautiful and easy to reach from anywhere in the city. Snoopy’s Pier is a great place to see the sunset and have a bite to eat, and the Texas State Aquarium is one of the best in the country! There are museums to visit, and the Corpus Christi Bay Trail is a fantastic place to clear your head and breathe in the fresh sea air. Padre Island National Seashore is the city’s gem, with more than enough to keep the entire family happy with camping, birdwatching, and seashell searching.
Top 8 Neighborhoods in Corpus Christi, TX
Corpus Christi is a big city with dozens of neighborhoods, so we recommend going early to start your home search. (Storing your things with Move It storage in Corpus Christi while you search is a great plan!) Many communities here are excellent, but the 8 below are at the top of the list.
- Calallen- The best reasons to live in this community are highly-rated schools, excellent dining, and affordable homes.
- Downtown Corpus Christi- Younger folks will love living Downtown for the nightlife, proximity to jobs, and fantastic shopping and restaurants. Prices, however, are higher than in other areas of the city.
- Central City- Very affordable homes and many outdoor activities set Central City apart from the rest of the communities on this list. It should be noted that it’s further outside the city than most.
- Bay Area- If boating is your pleasure, you’ll want to give the Bay Area a try. It’s right on Corpus Christi Bay, hence the name, and the opportunities for boating, fishing, and water sports are off the hook!
- Ingleside- Also close to the bay is Ingleside, where you’ll find affordable single-family homes, plenty of great restaurants, and good schools.
- Rockport- If being close to the Gulf is your goal, Rockport is a great choice. It’s next door to Goose Island State Park and its spectacular beaches and trails!
- Portland- Another outlying community, Portland offers the gorgeous Violet Andrews Park and a laid-back feel that many families enjoy. Good schools and affordable homes are also a hallmark.
- Bishop- This tiny community offers some of the best schools in Corpus Christi. Surprisingly, it also provides some of the biggest lots, making it an excellent choice for folks who love having oversized yards.
Trust Move It Storage to Make Your Move to Corpus Christi a Success
Move It Storage is an excellent choice if you’ve just arrived and need self-storage units in Corpus Christi, TX! We offer safe, secure storage with the best amenities in the industry, including drive-up units, 24/7 security, and a fully-fenced, well-lit storage facility.
Move It offers 16 (yes, 16!) storage locations in Corpus Christi, so there’s bound to be one close to the neighborhood you choose. We offer storage for household goods, boat storage, RV storage, storage for local businesses, and climate-controlled storage for items that can’t take Corpus Christi’s heat! You can reserve a storage unit in Corpus Christi with no deposit and no credit card needed. That way, it will be ready and waiting when you and your movers arrive! Until then, best of luck moving to this fabulous South Texas city, and we’ll see you when you arrive!